Thursday, March 15, 2012

So, when does spring really begin?

Two weeks ago, we were shoveling out from under 5" of some of the wettest, heaviest snow I ever remember seeing. There was a huge puddle at the foot of my driveway and I had to build up islands from the snow to set my trash and recycling cans on so they wouldn't freeze into the water.

Last night, I wheeled the cans out to the foot of the driveway. No snow, no lake - just record warmth, greening grass and lots of birdsong. The robins are burbling away and I've spotted turkey vultures and great blue herons flying over the area. Some sources are declaring spring events are happening two weeks ahead of schedule.

At the nature center, we've spotted red-winged blackbirds and male bluebirds. I've heard killdeer calling and one naturalist watched whirligig beetles spinning in the Farm Pond. There is some sap flowing, but it is definitely odd to see naturalists doing syruping programs in their shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment