Saturday, March 31, 2012

Farewell, Marvelous March

Record-breaking high temperatures - almost no snow - sightings of spring events over two weeks earlier than typical...what a March it has been. We're finishing off this month having had the warmest March ever since record-keeping began in the 1800s. No doubt that there have been warmer Marchs or that the birds have come back sooner than usual, but it hasn't happened in a long time - not in my lifetime.  I think Minnesotans love that "I was there" experience of special weather record-setting events. I know that I do.

New signs of spring this week included the violets (see the earlier post) and maple seeds. There is a maple tree on the north side of the parking lot (by the "Visitor Parking" signs) that has seeds almost 1" long. I haven't seen any seeds on other maple trees - yet. They can't be far behind.

At home, male cowbirds are at the feeders and there has been a chipmunk scurrying around.

What a March - I can't wait to see what April will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment