Thursday, November 29, 2012

NaNoWriMo Mania

So, for the past 29 days I've been busy writing - just not here. November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) - an insane, yet fabulous concept where you try to write a 50000 word novel between November 1 and November 30. That averages out to about 1667 words per day.

Well, I did it. I have successfully created a children's book that is over 50000 words long.  Even though it isn't finished yet, I can say I have written at least the minimum of 50000 words. What a rush. I went into this with a general idea of what I wanted to have happen, but things happened that I never planned on - characters I never envisioned.

I'd read a book about what to expect when doing this and I'm so glad I did. The author, the guy who came up with this crazy idea, Chris Baty, says to expect this will be a crappy first draft, and let it be. More important is to get the ideas down. Then you can take the time you need to revise.

So, now that the 50000 words are out of my head and in my computer, I'll have time to get back to blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment