Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Still around

Yesterday, a female hummingbird showed up at the nectar feeder. The day was warm - 77F. But we'd had temperatures almost at the freezing point the day before so it was a pleasant surprise to see hummers still here. Most sources recommend keeping feeders out until October, so I made fresh nectar, cleaned the feeder, and rehung it. I'll keep my eyes open hoping to see more!

Today, a male red-winged blackbird turned up at my main feeder. Although my yard isn't near any water (there is a small marshy area a couple of blocks away), red-winged blackbirds turn up often during the summer. This may be one of last ones since red-winged blackbirds migrate. Maybe he was passing through as he headed south. I'll be watching in March for their return.

1 comment:

  1. I love red-winged blackbirds. Their songs remind me of being on a lake fishing. :)

    ReplyDelete