Monday, June 4, 2012

A Bug's Life

Walking the Lilly Prairie today, lots of blooming forbs attracted a variety of interesting insects.


Don't expect to see the actual bug, but look for the globs of foam between stems and leaves on a variety of plants. This is where spittlebugs are developing.

Only about 1/2" long, this bland looking insect can take care of itself. It is part of the stink bug family. Look - don't touch!


My favorite bug of the day - it let me take picture after picture without flinching or fleeing. Notice the thick back legs? This is a leaf-footed bug.

Insects are difficult to identify, partly because there are just so many of them and, unlike birds or flowers, I haven't found a regional guide that does a really good job of distinguishing which is which. So, if I've misidentified one of these creatures, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment